Friday, March 27

The Usual Suspects

The trickle of news out of Lexington throughout the day has been agonizing. Knowing the decision has been finally made (right or wrong) is at least some consolation and allows my brain to mellow out a little. But now, I feel the weekend will feel the same as we await the announcement of Kentucky's next coach. The media outlets have not helped with my headache. Reports of Gillispie staying and leaving were everywhere and the speculation by the media concerning who will be the next coach are no different.

I have heard from numerous news sources, CBS, ESPN, Florida news papers, Fox Sports and more, that Donovan was to be named head coach. Then the same outlets reported he was not interested. Some reported Travis Ford was the pick and others reported Kentucky has not asked for permission to speak with him. Calipari has said he is not leaving Memphis. Izzo, Pitino, and Dixon are still in the tournament. So they are untouchable at least through the weekend.

As I attempt to collect my thoughts about Kentucky's next move, I sincerely hope Barnhart and Todd have a plan in place and aren't looking at each other right now saying, "OK, now what?" Firing Gillispie without reasonable leads would be foolish. The several names being tossed around all have pros and cons attached to them. Here are my thoughts and feelings on a few of them (excuse me if I misspell their names, I don't feel like checking the spelling).

Billy Donovan: Like any coach, he has qualities I strongly dislike. But he has proved himself to be capable of putting together championship teams. I think he would be a good fit at Kentucky, but a little voice in my head tells me it may not be the best choice.

John Calipari: Great recruiter and very solid coach. I have a bad feeling, however, his style of players would not give Kentucky the type of teams I can root for. Plus, his background is a little sketchy and a little baggage can become a full dowry at a big program (see IU).

Tom Izzo: I think if given the choice, Izzo would be my pick. Sure, low scoring games would be the norm, but I'm used to it by now. I'd rather have a boring, but winning, basketball program over a fast paced losing squad. I like Izzo's personality and he has shown his loyalty by living in Michigan all these years. He is playing Kansas right now, but I'm not sure if he'd be willing to leave Michigan State. He may be there as long as Boeheim has been at Syracuse.

Travis Ford: No no no no no no no no no damn crap damn it to hell no. Nothing against Travis (although I know Kevin doesn't care for him), but I just don't see him working out in Lexington in the near future. Maybe 5-10 years down the road with some success, but not yet.

Mike Anderson: The Mizzou (RAH!) Tiger's current trailblazer (pun intended UAB fans) has his kitties rolling after thumping Memphis last night, all the while keeping my bracket exceptionally strong. Anderson has obviously shown he can coach. He is obviously not stupid. Say what you will about whether Tubby's treatment at Kentucky was fair or not, but he and Anderson are good friends and I don't know if Tubby would recommend he take the job.

Rick Pitino: Yeah right. I would welcome Pitino back with open arms, as I think most UK fans would. But Pitino is not leaving Louisville. Not yet. And not for UK.

Thad Matta: Good recruiter? Most likely. Good coach? Sure. But this just does not get me excited. I know it's hard to compete against football at Buckeye U, but he has done a hell of a job. But the prospect of this coaching move doesn't make me all giggly. Maybe I'm wrong.

No matter what decision is made, I'll do my best to support and cheer like I always have. I know if things go poorly, more changes will be made...and made...and made again until Kentucky once again contends for a championship. But it won't stop this weekend from being a tortuous test of patience.

1 comment:

Bad Bob said...

If this was the Derby Future Book I'd bet on the field. I think they'll hire a coach that is young and not on anyone's "A" list.