Tuesday, March 10

Tribute To Chuck Olmstead

As long as I can remember, Chuck Olmstead has been the on the spot reporter for "Action 11 Neeeeews." It didn't matter what the situation happened to be, he was there. With a voice as smooth as the grain in his fine leather jackets and as deep as his luxurious brimmed hats, he reported breaking news before it was news. If a snow flake fell on the corner of 2nd and Market, he'd stand upon it and alert the good citizens of this fair city. If dirty swindlers plagued our neighborhoods, Chuck would track them down like a blood hound and ask them the tough questions all the while chasing them around the house or into their car. Chuck Olmstead never lost a story, he made the story.

I saw Mr. Olmstead a few months ago standing on the corner of Story Avenue and Brownsboro Road. He was by himself, no camera or microphone, and wearing suede so fine it would have made an emperor blush. I don't know if he was tracking down clues or if he actually thought he was on TV, but I know Chuck was watching out for Louisville, for you....for me.

And that is how I want to remember him.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I am quite sure that in 50 years, if I may live so long, I'll still be able to quite vividly recall how he sounded when he said 'This is Chuck Ooolmstead reporting'

Mark said...

Similes will gnash their teeth and wail like a thousand hungry babies at the passing of their master, the local Prince of Journalism.