Saturday, February 21

Brian's Baseless UK Prediction

Kentucky tips off against Tennessee ("I really, really hate Tennessee. I can't stress that enough.") in just over two hours and I'm stuck at work, in my freezing office, waiting for an event to wrap up. I have been looking forward to this rematch since the first game back in mid-January. The last time out, Jodie "Freakin" Meeks laid a 54 point spot on the pumpkin puke orange hillbillies from Rocky Top. The last two games without Patterson have been frustrating to watch down low with scarce rebounding, little defense and putrid scoring. But Patterson is back (hopefully near 100%) and I expect good things today as the Vols march their leg irons into Rupp Arena.

Rhythm & Bruise

Don't expect Meeks to go for 54 again. Not even close. However, I have never given tons of credit to the IQ of Tennessee players and still expect Meeks to get plenty of scoring opportunities. Look for him to get his average, even if it does all come from turnover fastbreaks and free throws.

Patterson may get fewer minutes than we would like to see. I know he has been struggling towards the end of practice, but if he keeps getting quick breaks, I think he'll have a fine game. As a bonus, his finger apparently is feeling better and I think we may see a return of his jump shot and touch he had before the boxing glove of a bandage he sported the last month and a half.

The Backup "Stringers."

Kevin Galloway will get more playing time today. I feel it. He did it against Florida and he'll do it against Tennessee. Maybe a turnover or two too many, but his assists and play making will be a catalyst. Bank on it.

Darius Miller is quickly becoming one of my favorite players to watch. I could see how lost he looked several weeks ago, but I have never seen a player grow in confidence each time out like Miller has the past few games. His offense is still mediocre, but is showing flashes of what's to come. His defense and rebounding are quickly improving as he is emerging from his freshman shell.

"Jorts" Harrellson and DeAndre Liggins worry me. I like what I see a lot of the time, but apparently they must be driving Gillispie madder than a half-time interview. It's the rotation of these two (and Galloway) that has perplexed me and has thrown off Gillispie's substitution pattern. Just about all teams have a rotation set well before now. Not Kentucky. It's as disjointed and unpredictable as it was in the November exhibition games. It seems Gillispie is much tougher on his recruits (Liggins, Harrellson, Galloway, Miller) than Tubby's (Harris, Porter, Stevenson). But I will not pass judgement on BCG until near the end of next season.

So, without further ado, today's prediction for the Kentucky/Tennessee match-up (remember last game, I did predict the score...just the wrong outcome):

Kentucky: 74
Tennessee:70

Player of the Game: Kevin Galloway


No comments: