Friday, December 4

Uncle Leo Would Be Very Disappointed

I have noticed for the past several years how often I say hello to someone in passing and never get a response. I don't say hello to everyone I pass. For example, if I'm in a crowd or if the other person is talking on the phone I won't bother. If I'm in an empty stairwell or hallway, however, and I pass someone, I will say at the very least "hello." Sometimes it is followed by "how are you today?" Simple and cliche, I know, but it's just being polite.
I've also noticed I often don't receive a "thank you" when I hold a door open for someone. I have found myself plenty of times biting my tongue to prevent myself from giving a sarcastic "your welcome!' But this is beside the point...
While thinking about this I have noticed one peculiar constant. The offenders usually seem to be older. Is this because it's unexpected coming from someone younger and they are thrown off? Is it because they are just getting crotchety? Has the Bel-tone been turned down and they just can't hear it? Who knows... but if anyone has any insight into this, I would love to hear about it.

2 comments:

Bad Bob said...

You young people are so testy!

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Speaking as a "middle aged" person, if someone holds the door for me, I always say thank you, and take it a step further. For example, if I'm going into the post office, and a man holds the door for me, then when we get inside, I then make sure that same man gets ahead of me in line, because after all, if he hadn't held the door for me, he'd have been in line ahead of me to begin with. I've done this many times. Keep being polite, no matter what response you get, okay?