Wednesday, December 30

Buckle B's Year End Review

Personally, 2009 was a year I may not be able to fully wrap my mind around for awhile. You know the details, so I won't go into them. But the year has ended on an extremely positive note and I am excited about 2010.

Here are a few things that stand out in my mind while looking back on the events of the past year, in no particular order:

  • The August 4th rain storm was impressive. Being the weather geek I am, it doesn't take much to impress me, but rainfall rates of 9" per hour in some areas around Louisville? That is something you usually only hear about in hurricanes, in the tropics or on top of some mountain in a remote rain forest. Plus working at Slugger Field gave me a different perspective.
  • The hiring of John Calipari at Kentucky: I was a little nervous about the "baggage" Calipari brought with him. Currently I'm blinded by the early success. I just hope the aura presently surrounding UK basketball doesn't go the way of Tiger Woods. And speaking of Tiger Woods...
  • I am more disappointed than the average person concerning the Tiger Woods issue. Not because my opinion of him as a person has changed, because it really hasn't, but because this could take him away from the game of golf for the foreseeable future. I enjoy watching Tiger Woods play golf. He is the best in my favorite sport and I hate the fact I may not see him play for awhile. I will still watch golf (and enjoy it), but I will miss watching the best golfer on the planet.
  • Barack Obama becoming President of the United States. This does not stand out because he is the first black president (sorry Slick Willy), but because I can't believe a man named Barack Hussein Obama was elected President of the United States just 7 years after the 9/11 attacks. The general population (i.e. red states) were so terrified of anyone with a middle eastern sounding name. Politics aside, I find it ironic and fascinating he was able to win the election (but then again, look at his competition).

I would like to hear what everyone else remembers about 2009. It can be anything at all: personal, news, sports etc.

3 comments:

Bad Bob said...

Well, to me, the Ice Storm was much more spectacular than the rain. Listening to the all the branches fall all night and all day was amazing! And the damage it cause so wide spread. It will be a memory for the rest of my life that reminds me of 2009.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Well, on a personal note, I mostly remember it's the year Jean and Frank Krider lost Jennifer. I kept telling myself that no matter what kind of problems my own children were encountering in their lives, at least they were here to be having those problems, and that in itself was something to be very thankful for.

Brian said...

For the past several years I have always tried to maintain that attitude. Great things in life are easy to deal with, but it's the heartbreak and difficult times that make me feel the most alive.