Monday, December 1

Yes...I'm Reading The Bible

As I have discussed with several of you many times, one of my biggest peeves is The Bible (or any other religious text) being sold in the non-fiction section at book stores. I have decided to finally sit down and read the "good book" from cover to cover, instead of hearing or reading segments like I did all through school.

My first contention with the book being in a non-fiction section is the creation story in the book Genesis. Put aside the hocus-pocus of the story(s) of creation...that is another argument I will not get into here. Instead, I will focus on the two (2) creation stories in the same book. Each story, though basically the same, is chronologically different. They both can't be correct.

Also, the "good book" has also already told me stories of daughters getting their father drunk and "tricking" him into impregnating them; husbands denying wives in order to save their own life, fathers banishing their own infant children from the village, brothers killing brothers and slave ownership...all with "the Lord's" approval and blessing.

This is not yet a critique (I have a long, long way to go), but calling this the "good book" and non-fiction already has me scratching my head. But, who knows...maybe it will redeem itself in the end. Please don't tell me anything about it, I can't wait to see how it all ends...

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I like it when they take censuses. Plus I love all the detailed instructions fathers give their sons: "'Take twelve stones from here out of the midst of the Jordan, from the very place where the priests' feet stood, and carry them over with you, and lay them down in the place where you lodge tonight." Gripping stuff.