Saturday, December 6

St. Nicholas of Bari

As some of you may not know, Mom & Dad gave all of us boys a poem on our last St. Nicholas Day (I think at the age of 15). The poem would state how we had outgrown the occasion and it would be our last. Well, Mom & Dad, it's time you got a poem from one of your children. Happy St. Nicholas Day.


To My Parents (Those Tricky Ol' Elves!)

You think you're so sly...
you think you're so slick...
while we ate dinner
you played St. Nick.
Our socks on the hearth...
or... shoes by the door,
with trinkets in hand
you crept o'er the floor.
As you shuffled about
the wood planks they creaked,
but you used the radio
you tricky ol' sneaks
to cover your racket
to cover your asses
to see this charade
one doesn't need glasses.
So congratulations, to you, my dear parents,
you tricked this wee lil' tot
into thinking our home was annually invaded
by a big fat red-wearing sot.

Below is a wikipedia link to information on St. Nicholas (since to today is St. Nicholas Day, the Feast of St. Nicholas being yesterday). He's quite the popular dude, especially in Russia and among mariners (not the baseball team).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Nice. Your is possessive, though. Please correct before submission to the New Yorker.
Some software essential to my work was down for an hour and a half Friday. I spent a chunk of that time reading about St. Nicholas on-line.

Bad Bob said...

I loved your poem.
I love you, too.
Please watch your language.
Or St. Nick will get you.
Love you = mom

Brian said...

I can always count on my big brother to correct my grammatical oversights. That's what I get when I'm trying to watch TV and type at the same time. Also, my English ain't never been so good.