Friday, December 19

Wildcats Open Practice

After work, I scuttled over to Freedom Hall to catch the UK open practice. First, let me touch on the facility. Freedom Hall is a dump. It is a decent place to watch a game because there are very few bad views, but it is generally a disgusting facility. Not because I shutter at thinking of the number of UofL fans who call it home, but because the entire facility looks like the Little Rascals clubhouse. The ceiling appears to be held up with a chain link fence and nearly every chair in the lower section has black and yellow tape keeping the padding from falling out. Several times when I tried to stand, a wad of duct tape wrapped around my seat stuck to my coat, tugging at my sleeve. The bicycle style fence used to block off the stands from the floor were joined together with duct tape. Classy.

Did I mention the place smells like a restroom in a popcorn shop with a hint of livestock?

The practice was interesting, but I realize an open practice is usually for the fans and not the usual basketball boot camp the players are used to. I sat in the front row, behind the bench, directly on the corner. Something about this type of event brings out the kid in me and rekindles the fanatic. I felt the same nostalgia after attending Reds Fest last year. Anyway, here are a few of my observations:

Coach Gillispie: Facial expressions and hand gestures are all I had to go on during the practice for BCG. His usual "what the hell are you doing" expression was common. However, everything was very efficiently run. Ever player stayed busy most of the time and the transition between drills was nearly instantaneous. Plus he signed my program, so kudos to that. I also picked up on the "special" relationship he has with Liggins whom with he definitely had more one-on-one interaction. Yet, it seemed very positive.

DeAndre Liggins: Liggins is a special player. When I say special, I don't mean one of the most talented players Kentucky has ever had (that remains to be seen). No, no, I mean grab your fanny pack and fasten your Velcro shoes type of special. Corky from "Life Goes On" type of special. An "I'd be surprised if his favorite meal isn't fish sticks" type of special. Liggins likes to draw attention to himself. He was also the last player out on the court when practice started by a good 5 minutes. I think Gillispie may end up hooking one of those telephone bungee cord kiddie leashes to Liggins's waist like the kids at the zoo. Bless his little heart.


Jared Carter: Is dominant!

Michael Porter: I didn't see much in this practice performance. He hustles, but he pretty much looks like he does in games.

Patrick Patterson: Hit five 3-pointers in a row during warm-ups. I didn't realize he had that range.

Ramone Harris: "Razor" was back in action and looked like he was back to his old self. He didn't gain any super abilities following his bump on the melon, however.

I tried taking pictures, but all I had was my cell phone and they came out blurry, but I'll post a few as soon as I get around to sending them via text to my e-mail.

One other observation. Kentucky has several goofy looking players. This includes walk ons and several of Tubby's recruits. But I guess when Saul is your son...

I will also be attending Monday night's game with my Pop at Rupp Arena when the Cats will take on Tennessee State. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: