Monday, December 29

Metal Detecting

I finally made it out again today to go metal detecting. I snooped around the old River Road Country Club property at the corner of Zorn Ave. and River Rd. It was slow going at first, getting few hits, but the last hour was much more productive. After spending some time on the actual course, I decided to search closer to the clubhouse. I ended up behind the building and pool. This area contained a small, circular, sunken area overgrown with weed stalks. Walking around it I found a bit of clad, pennies and a quarter, leading me to think this may have been an old pond or wishing well. Judging by the way the change was spread around, I could visualize people standing up on the pool deck trying to toss pennies into it. However, amongst the clad I did unearth my best find to date: A 1943 Mercury head dime pictured below.
Out on the course, the only interesting find appears to be a ball marker. I have half-heartily tried to find the story behind the maker of the marker via the Internet with no luck as of yet. Here is the marker pictured below:

One side of the marker reads "Here lies World's Greatest Putter"This side of the marker, though harder to see, reads: "Bartlett" and " 63" "

I am guessing this is a putter company, but I will keep researching to find out more.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Congratulations! You win first silver! I am jealous. I want to go there with you.

I spent a while last night trying to get my detector working correctly; I'm having trouble with it beeping erratically, but it only seems to do it in the cold. While I had it in my living room, I had no problems with it.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am a very avid golfer that had one of these ball markers. Unfortunately I recently lost mine in a tournament. It was the only marker I would use the past 10 years I have had it. I originally found it in an old vending machine at my home club. It was a very unique mark that I had never seen before and it does not feel the same marking with a quarter. I have looked all over the internet and I can only find a cheap, fake version of the original. I can not find one like I used to have, like the one you found. I was just wondering if there was any chance you would sell the marker to me. My old mark was my good luck charm and I hope to one day find another one similar to it if you are not willing to sell. Thanks for your time.

Jake N

Anonymous said...

I will check tonight and dig it up. I am pretty sure it is in the same box I put it in back then. I will post here later if I find it. You can have it. I don't think it is in very good shape though.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Any luck finding it?