Wednesday, October 15

That Was Time Well Spent

I spent the first couple hours of my day sitting in the court house because of a subpoena I received regarding an incident at work over the summer. I was named in the district court case as a witness by an on-duty police officer at the stadium. However, I had no recollection of the event other than hearing it on the walkie-talkie I carry. Even then I'm a little sketchy if I actually remember it happening. Finally, after being down there for a while, I was told my testimony was not needed.
I hope I don't have to go back to the court house anytime soon, but it was interesting to see the different types of people milling about. I saw plenty of familiar faces; Police who have worked at the ballpark, lawyers from TV and lawyers I knew from my time at Hurstbourne. Sitting on the "waffle ass making" bench on the 3rd floor, I caught bits of conversations between lawyers and their clients as they strolled past. I saw grungy teenagers trying to adjust to wearing a suit and a few thugs who didn't even attempt to look like upstanding citizens. Some of the attorneys looked like they slept in there suits as they shuffled past, crumpled legal paper jutting out from under both arms. The hustle and bustle reminded me of the Ministry of Magic in the Harry Potter books...if it was in the ghetto.

1 comment:

Mark said...

One of the reasons I used to like working at the courthouse was the huge variety of people I saw every day, just like you described. What a great place to people-watch.