Tuesday, January 6

Yellowstone

Hey Mark,

Did you ask me about Yellowstone on New Year's Eve because of the small tremors over the past 2 weeks? There is an article on the Science Daily website about it. It seems most of the earthquakes have been centered under the eastern rim of the caldera. Although earthquakes are an everyday occurrence, this is the most active cycle in a very long time.

Coincidentally, I watched a show last night on Yellowstone's history and one of the vulcanologist said we would probably see several small eruptions in a somewhat organized sequence, like a zipper being unzipped. This would then allow the major eruption to take place as the caldera drops down even further. YAAAAY...."nuclear" winter!


1 comment:

Mark said...

Just a couple of days after I asked you about it, The Straight Dope had an article on it. And then two days later, I heard a story on NPR about it. The reason I mentioned it is because I saw a little news article on the Internet about the recent earthquake activity. One park geologist on NPR said that there was a more intense earthquake swarm in the early '80s. I'd just wondered if you'd heard any buzz or had any opinions...and the next day I started hearing a buzz myself. I think I'd prefer to go another few hundred thousand years without a super-eruption. But no one takes my opinions into account in deciding these things.