Wednesday, January 21

Buckle B's Thoughts on President Obama

I didn't take much of an interest in politics before September 11th, 2001. Sure, I voted and still was more politically literate than the average American I guess, but I didn't spend the time I do now keeping up with the political climate. Though still not as well versed as I should be, I can identify a large percentage of government figures, their title, party affiliation and background.

September 11th, like most people, had me watching the news countless hours a day in the following weeks. This experience has caused me to continue my interest in world affairs and has increased my global awareness. Now I can't understand how people wouldn't be interested in world news and politics. Not knowing what is going on would drive me crazy. This brings me to my thoughts on President Obama.

I approach Obama's presidency with skeptical optimism (or optimistic skepticism). He is indeed an articulate, energetic and popular figure who will demand respect from both foreign and domestic entities, at least for the time being. He has a beautiful wife and daughters and portrays an idealism to many. However, it will be interesting to see how long this "new car smell" lasts with an easily distracted and impatient public. Those who see Obama as a god who can solve all the problems of the world will be quickly disappointed. Those who view him (and I'm not kidding when I say this) as evil, the 2nd beast who is to usher in the apocalypse will be greatly disappointed, too. Many fundamentalists are hoping the end times are near and they believe Obama is the catalyst (however, I would think they would be happy he is president because of this).

I feel Obama has the potential to be the best president we have had in my lifetime. However, many past president's potential never panned out like people thought it would. I am excited to see the country enthusiastic about a new presidency and optimism can go along way to healing a limping country. Let's just wait before we start adding his face on Mt. Rushmore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts,almost,exactly. Yesterday was an exciting day and I enjoyed watching all the pomp and ceremony. Now we will hear all the hoopla about the actual words of the oath. Kudos to you for getting your dental work done. Time for lots of soup.

Kevin said...

There's a new president, you say? When did that happen? And what happened to the last one, Bill whatshisname?