Thursday, January 8

" I Am Not A Rabid Anti-Dentite!"

As most of you probably don't know, I am very stubborn when it comes to visiting the dentist. Actually, stubborn would be an improvement. It has been longer than I care to mention since I have seen Mr. Drill-O-Death, but I finally broke down during my vacation and made an appointment. I was having a dental dilemma I could no longer ignore. My appointment was this morning at 9am, so I hardly slept a wink last night in anticipation of my impending doom. Fidgeting nervously during breakfast and carrying butterflys in my breadbasket all the way to the dentist's office, I just knew I was going to lose the whole right side of my skull.

I entered the office before 9 to fill out the new patient paperwork and wondered what this low grade ivory hunter was going to do. I was soon called back to the examination room where I began to tell him the tooth, er, truth and all my excuses for not seeing a dentist since Clinton was president. He proceeded with the little mirror on a stick and took some x-rays as I awaited to hear the terrifying news.

To make an already long story short, I did not have to endure any poking, scraping, drilling or ridicule today. It was a very nice experience and was not chastised at all. Other than the two teeth that I knew had major problems, he said everything was in surprisingly good shape considering it had been so long (I guess I'll just keep gargling with soda!). I need one tooth extracted (hell, it's almost gone anyway) and one root canal (yippee). I am being sent to two different people, an oral surgeon and endodontist, for these procedures and will be heading back to the dentist on MLK Day for a good cleaning. According to the DMD, I should be back on the right track in no time. And yes, I'll be sure to make my 6-month appointment before I leave.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

"Dentist? You said we were going to ride dirt bikes around the cemetary!"

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

What a brave little soldier I raised!!!!