Tuesday, December 11

2007 RedsFest

This past Friday & Saturday, three co-workers and myself stayed in Cincinnati to work RedsFest at the Duke Energy Center. We had a booth set up with ticket and All-Star Game information. We also sold ASG hats, baseball cards and game worn jerseys. It was fairly successful and we had plenty of interest. The event was huge. Numerous vendors and sponsors were set up as well as interactive games and simulations for kids and adults. The biggest draw of course was the autograph sessions. Thousands of people lined up through the mazes of pipe and drape with memorabilia in hand. Each day when the doors opened, it was a stampede of red & black, baseball bats, duffle bags, memorabilia and over-weight guys in Barry Larkin jerseys as fans of all sorts sprinted for the head of the line. The Reds new manager Dusty Baker, Marty & Thom Brennaman (radio), Wayne Krivsky(GM) and numerous other current Reds were on hand to answer questions from fans. I also saw George Foster at a booth signing autographs for charity. I wish I would have had the George Foster bat Mark, Kevin, Steve & I had when we were little. I think we still have one in mom and dad's basement.The event was done very well. The displays were very interesting and the memorabilia stores would make and sport fan nostalgic (my favorite was a big framed picture of Nolan Ryan holding Robin Ventura in a headlock punching him in the face, signed by Nolan Ryan). I will always be a St. Louis Cardinal fan, but this event made me realize how much I used to love the Reds. I think it has rekindled some of my fanhood.




No comments: