Tuesday, September 28

Ryder Cup

The Ryder Cup, starting Friday in Wales, has snuck up on me. I knew it was coming, but it took so long I think I forgot about it. The 2008 Ryder Cup at Valhalla was one of the most entertaining experiences of my life (I got to see Boo "combatibate" after all!). That team combined with the atmosphere at Valhalla had everything going for it.

With this team, I feel the opposite. Playing in Wales against a hostile crowd just throws more sand on already buried lie.
  • The United States has one player on its team with a winning record in the Ryder Cup: Hunter Mahan is 2-0-3.

  • Five guys have never played a match: Ricky Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Jeff Overton and Bubba Watson.
  • The teams combined record is 35-51-20.
  • Our best player, Tiger Woods, shot his worst round of his pro career just a few weeks ago...and his record at the Cup isn't stellar either: 10-13-2. This combined with currently revamping his swing (again) does not lead me to think he will suddenly return to form.
Bright Spots on the 2010 U.S. Ryder Cup Team:
  • Hunter Mahan is steady in his last two appearances and has been playing well again this year. He's a steady player with experience and should be good at getting them points, even if they are halves.

  • Jim Furyk is coming off a win in the Tour Championship. This doesn't really mean anything other than we know his game hasn't left him. If he can keep from making the one or two bad swings around he has been prone to do, I think he will be solid.

  • Bubba Watson and Phil Mickelson may be a good pairing, especially in alternate shot. Two lefties that love being aggressive could lead to blow out wins or licking there wounds in the clubhouse waiting for the rest of the groups to play the back nine.
  • I like Matt Kuchar. He seems like a solid, steady player with an iron stomach and I think he will be a star "Ryder Cupper" for years to come.

Doubts:

  • I'm not sure about Corey Pavin as a Captain. Nobody knows until everything plays out. He has made some decisions and comments that make we wonder.

  • Will having Tiger Woods back on the team actually hurt? I was hoping Pavin would select him for the team and I'll still think it's the right decision no matter what. I can't justify not selecting the world's number one ranked player as a captain's pick.

  • Does this kid (Rickie Fowler) look like he could beat anyone on Europe's team?

Besides looking like a backup dancer at a Justin Beiber concert, the only guy it appears he could contend with is this guy:

But it won't happen. Ian Poulter would win no problem.

I always look forward to the Ryder Cup and it's nice that it will be on early in the morning. I have two years to earn enough points to be on the 2012 team back here in the states. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I didn't care for the choice of Fowler even before I knew he dressed like he was going to a garbage truck workers' convention. Plus I'm not a dog person.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

So funny - I thought it Was a picture of Justin Beiber for a moment, and that you'd started a new blog.