Thursday, September 9

Burning the Qu'ran

I'm sure everyone (who reads my blog anyway) has heard on September 11th, a congregation in Florida is going to burn several copies of the Qu'ran. This story has received more attention that it deserves, but here is my take on it.
I feel confident in stating the pastor and his congregation is probably full of backward idiots and my gut feeling is they would burn any book as long as it wasn't their Bible. However, I have no issue with burning the Qu'ran, besides being pointless, and here is why.
  1. The fear is the act of burning the Qu'ran will put the U.S. Military in danger and be used as a recruiting tool for Al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations. Really? I've heard they are having a hard time finding recruits and the military has been getting thank you cards the last nine years.

  2. I don't have a problem with burning the Qu'ran for the same reason I don't mind someone burning the Bible or any other book, religious or not. It's simply paper and ink; a symbol of the religion. Burning a book does not destroy the ideas contained within it. It's a symbolic disagreement of a symbolic book. I'm not a fan of symbolism (Who?! Who will not wear the ribbon?!) and letting a book guide your life is dumb...and so is the thought that burning it really matter (unless you need to to stay warm of course).

Here is what will happen: The Qu'rans will burn and we will see protests on the news for a week and then we will never hear about it again.

Now if you'll excuse me, I want to go draw a cartoon flip book of the prophet Muhammed on the bottom corners of my Qu'ran.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

If the media didn't cover this stuff 24-7 it would all go away.