Tuesday, January 12

Crappy to the Max

I spent this past weekend with Julie and several of her friends (a few who came in from out of town). Saturday we went to the Louisville Science Museum to see "Ghosts of the Abyss" at IMAX and then check out the Titanic exhibit. We ended the evening by having sushi at Sapporo on Bardstown Road and then heading to Flannigan's.

  • The IMAX film was awful. The point of going to see a film in the IMAX format (for me) is (A) to experience the cinematography. I want to have a physical reaction to the motion on the screen. And (B) I want o to learn. After all, it is a science museum -- a place for learning and exploring. "Ghosts of the Abyss" had decent moments, but overall failed miserably. It was interesting to see the sunken parts of Titanic overlaid with recreations of that part, and"ghosts," or images of people, to give the audience an idea of what it would have looked like while in use. However, the majority of the film focused too much on actor Bill Paxton, who narrated the documentary and hitched a ride on one of the submersibles. Too many shots of his face, or Paxton looking out over the Atlantic, reflecting on how amazing and humbling he found the experience, made for a frustrating hour. I wanted to yell "show me the wreckage! Show me the expedition equipment! Show me something other than Paxton's four story face!" A 9/11 reference was thrown in too (because it happened during the filming), but seemed strangely out of place and forced.
  • The exhibit was interesting simply because it was a chance to see recovered items from the wreckage. If you have never seen this type of exhibit, I would recommend going. Parts of the ship, personal belongings, paper money, coins, letters and postcards, pieces of various parts of the ships interior, china, a champagne bottle still half full, etc, etc. etc. are all on display. Seeing these items so remarkably preserved considering they were 2 miles below the North Atlantic for 100 years was a neat experience.
  • Sapporo was good, but I can still say I don't crave sushi like I was told I would. I like it enough that I don't mind eating it and I like exploring different types. At least my chop stick skills are getting better.

No comments: