Wednesday, April 29

Random Derby Stuff and More

  • Friesan Fire. Enough said. If you're looking for an exacta, toss in Dunkirk. Feel free to send me a check. I recommend 20% of any earnings, but you may contribute more if you are really thankful.
  • Cornhole boards available for Derby- I don't know what we are doing Derby Day yet, but it looks like the big shin-dig in Indiana is a possibility. I do have cornhole boards at work I can bring if anyone thinks they are needed (I know I'd use them).
  • I have decided to play golf on Oaks Day. I have a morning tee time at Oxmoor with a few guys from work. I am trying to get in all the practice I can before the North Korean Express hits town next week (I thing Wag may want some revenge after the Herculean comeback at Shawnee on Sunday).
  • I finally finished "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." Jules Verne wrote the book in 1870. His foresight about submarines and other technology was amazing. While reading it, it seemed like he already new of the technology invented in the first quarter of the 20th century. I will have to learn more about him.
  • Up next is the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman. The first book is "The Golden Compass." Beth is almost done with the last book, so I need to go ahead and read them so we can discuss. Maybe will have tea and strumpets...

I mean crumpets.

6 comments:

Bad Bob said...

I like Dunkirk. He's my choice. You want the exacta? Trifecta? Superfecta? Just box Friesan Fire, I want revenge, and Papa Clem under him. My word verification for this post is 'thity'. Sounds like I'm using foul language with a lisp....

Anonymous said...

Just finished Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. It sounded familiar, well looks like I had read it before. Maybe before The DaVinci Code. The weird world of computers, weird to me.

Brian said...

Dad, I think your picks are pretty thity!

Peggy, I don't think I'd like "Digital Fortress." I'm not a big fan of the technology genre. I didn't like "Prey" by Michael Crichton, either. Just not my cup of tea.

Kevin said...

Verne's sci-fi did in many cases foreshadow real life in some astonishingly accurate ways. I think he gets too much credit for foretelling the military uses of submarines, though. Subs were in combat use (or attempted use) for a century before the the novel.

Brian said...

I did not know that. Know what I mean Vern[e]?

Brian said...

I think I'll put $100 across the board on Mine That Bird. What the heck.