Tuesday, August 19

Sticking with Mark's Insect Theme

Last week, Beth and I ate at the Cracker Barrel on Blankenbaker Road and noticed this caterpillar outside in the flower bed chomping away on some tasty leaves. All I had was my cell phone camera and the image is pretty blurry. I say he was about 7-8 inches long and a good 2 inches around. He was by far the biggest caterpillar I have ever scene. One of the workers told us it had been there for a couple of weeks, eating everything in sight. I think it is an Imperial Moth caterpillar, but not certain. It was the closest ID I could find in the short amount of time I researched it.

3 comments:

Mark said...

It looks more like a cecropia moth caterpillar to me. They are closely related. I feel like all of my internet searches for bugs always end up back at the UK entomology department websites.

Brian said...

I end up there also. It did look like the Imperial Mother caterpillar, but I thought the Imperial looked a bit too fuzzy. Thanks for the info!

Brian said...

Moth...not mother. sorry