Thursday, August 28

Oh, Captain My Captain's Picks

Listed below are the eight players who have made the 2008 United States Ryder Cup team.
Phil Mickelson
Stewart Cink
Kenny Perry
Jim Furyk
Anthony Kim
Justin Leonard
Ben Curtis
Boo Weekley

I have been pondering the remaining four spots for the U.S. Ryder Cup team and what Paul Azinger should consider. Having caddied and played Valhalla a handful of times, not to mention watching two PGA Championships, I feel I can offer a somewhat educated guess to what 'Zinger' is looking for. The U.S. team needs some guys who have Ryder Cup experience. However, the past decade has been almost all bad experiences. New blood is needed along with players who will get excited and show emotion. Also, a combination of precision and big bombers would be key.

The four players listed below are the players I would make as my captain's picks. I took into consideration the current team members, past Ryder Cup performance and chemistry. Let's see how close I get...
Steve Stricker -Has become one of the steadiest players on
the PGA Tour since his comeback. He has a solid iron game and seems like the kind of guy the Ryder Cup may mean more to than any major.

Bubba Watson -he is one of the most emotional guys on tour, seems just the right amount of "I'll kick'ur ass country boy'" and can bomb a golf ball as far as anyone on tour.

J.B. Holmes -Similar to Watson, but a little more subdued. However, he's a homer and the fans will love him. Plus, I imagine J.B. has played Valhalla quite a few times.

Scott Verplank - a veteran of the Ryder Cup and usually a steady player. He has been playing much better lately and seems to be peaking. Even though his point total is not the highest, he's surging and has positive experiences at the Ryder Cup.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

The Ryder Cup? I thought they cancelled that thing when Tiger got hurt.