Monday, August 25

Atheist Prejudice

I often post bits on this blog because of a reaction to a post of Mark or Kevin's. After reading Kevin's creationist bit, I have decided to tell of an incident that happened to me (indirectly) at work a few weeks back (Note: I have discussed the use of the national anthem before sporting events in the past with brother Kevin, but that is a different subject for another time.)
I received a call from one of my workers wanting security in his section. After walking to the location, he informed me five guys did not stand up during the national anthem. They did not stand because they told him they were atheists (I don't know why atheism has anything to do with not standing for the national anthem...the pledge I can understand due to the reference of"under God," but that is beside the point). Anyway, the worker told a nearby vendor not to sell the beer to the guys because they did not stand for the national anthem. The vendor agreed.
I told the workers I can understand if they are ticked off, but we cannot refuse service or single people out if they are not creating a disturbance. They have every right to remain seated no matter how much others may find it offensive. To make a longer story short, the worker had asked for an officer in case "those god hating atheists come back to spew their anti-christ bullshit."Avoiding interjecting my opinion and viewpoint, I felt I handled the situation rather well.
First, it always tickles my funny bone when people call atheists god haters. Second, I guess atheists are truly the last "minority" in the country that it is ok to discriminate against openly. Recently in the news we have seen (D)Rep. Monique Davis of Illinois openly deny the rights of atheists. George H.W. Bush was once quoted as saying he doesn't know if atheists should be recognized as citizens because this is "one nation under God" (though this story may not be entirely true). I have seen numerous news reports of families of atheists run out of town because of nervous school boards and PTA's (though these are usually small suburban towns).
Why is an unsupported belief in a supernatural diety commonly accepted, even encouraged, but demanding evidence and reason to figure out why things are the way they are seemed as evil? I guess I'll never understand...

1 comment:

Mark said...

It sounds like you did handle it very well. It sounds like they guys who didn't stand were kind of dopey, but that's beside the point, and their dopiness pales in comparison to that of your fellow employee and the beer vendor.