Monday, April 21

One Disappointed Geology Dork

It seems all of Louisville and the entire Ohio Valley were awakened by last weeks 5.2 earthquake west of Evansville on the Indiana-Illinois border. That is everyone except Beth & I. I have long wanted to feel an earthquake (except for the concrete and wood beams falling on my head). When I am finally presented an opportunity, I sleep through it like I was on a NyQuil bender the night before. I have not asked a single person yet who did not feel it. I have a friggin' link to the USGS on my blog and I am the only person I know who consistently reads books on Geology...but I stay asleep. CRRAAAAAAAAAAP!

Anyway, the ballpark had its share of minor damage. The quake created a little ripple in center field which the grounds crew had to sand, tamp down & re-sod. We watched the surveillance cameras when we came into work and you can definitely see them bouncing around. One even picked up a tree trembling in the parking lot. It is easy to tell a tree moving due to wind compared to a tree being shaken. All in all, very interesting for my first earthquake experience...I just missed out on the actual shaking. CRRAAAAAP!

No comments: