Wednesday, April 23

The Mysterious Blood Gutter

After gathering my keys and stuffing my wallet in my back right pants pocket, I hoisted my back pack over my shoulder and stepped out the door for another day of work. I turned from locking the door, it's black paint chipping exposing the gray metal underneath, and strode toward the top of the steps. Before taking the first step, I looked down to find an extremely large pool of blood on the second step from the top. My first thought was blood, but it was only in the one spot. I didn't see a trail of smaller drops leading to our neighboring apartment or further down the steps. I then second guessed myself and thought someone had spilled a red drink or dessert. After closer inspection, I knew it was blood. I stepped over the pool and went down a few steps. I turned around and looked up at the gutter. There was a red streak on the outer edge of the gutter directly above the pool. The blood was no longer dripping, but it appeared extremely fresh. It was very red and had not yet taken on the brownish rust color. I figure it must have been a raccoon, possum or squirrel that had cut itself, maybe on the gutter. I'll keep you updated if I see any animals with fresh stitches.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Hey, it might be MY blood! I came home from work yesterday, sat on my bed as I was taking my shoes off, and noticed stains on my left pant leg (pants leg? pant-leg?). Turns out I had a cut on my shin and dried blood running down into my sock. No clue how it happened or when. Maybe I fell asleep at work and sleep-walked to your place and sleep climbed up to the gutter.

Mark said...

In my line of work, you learn about these kinds of things. It probably fell off of an airplane, bounced on your gutter, and splashed on your steps.