Tuesday, October 9

Filipino Dreamo

I had a very strange dream last night. As usual, the seamless chronology of events that took place in the dream have become choppy and discombobulated as the day has gone on. Here is what I remember to the best of my hazy ability:

I was with an United States Army regiment somewhere in the Philippines fighting what I can only assume is the Filipino Army. We were hunkered down in a bunker (just a big hole with dirt piled up on one side of it) exchanging rifle fire with unknown combatants. The funny thing is, I never felt nervous. Every now and then, someone would heave a grenade and it would explode causing unknown damage. After awhile of exchanging fire, the battle began to die down and we received word we could get out of our bunker. I remember walking up out of the bunker through some tall brush and trees to the edge of a dirt/gravel road. Across the road, about 50 yards away, was a group of Filipino soldiers all sitting around in a circle under a low hanging tree. I stood there and watched them for a few minutes clutching a grenade in my hand. I knew I could take them out if I wanted to. However, my commanding officer walked up beside me and looked back and forth from the group of soldiers to the grenade in my hand. After a moments thought, he waved his hand at them and said"forget it," so we walked up the road.
After a few minutes of walking up the road (I was now by myself...not sure where everyone else went), I came across this large group of prisoners, mostly Filipino and many children, being guarded by a thin Filipino lady in a large brimmed hat, loose robe-like clothing and sandals. She carried a long rifle in her hands, but she wore a big smile. She looked at me and motioned for me to fall in line with everyone else. I didn't feel threatened. One little Filipino kid in a baseball hat was at the back of the line as was running around, picking up sticks and rocks, basically just being a kid. The lady with the rifle called to him in Filipino, apparently telling him to get back in line and stop fooling around. She didn't yell...it was more like a babysitter. Once the kid got back in line, I got in line behind him, and down the road we walked.

That is all I remember.

No comments: