Wednesday, October 10

Meteorite Hunting

I have had the urge for a long time to go meteorite hunting. Now that the weather is cool, I have been itching to go. I don't have a metal detector and don't know much at all about them. I am going to a place off Browsboro Road today call Burk Metal Detector Sales to get some ideas and ask for advice. I think it would be very relaxing, yet exciting to go out in the solitude of a open field and hunt for hidden treasures. While meteorites would be my #1 goal, coins and other interesting artifacts would also be exciting. I imagine it would probably be more searching than finding, but it sounds excellent. If anyone has any expertise or knows anyone who may have access to or is selling a metal detector, let me know. I am also looking for interested partners in this endeavor. I know Mark has expressed interest in the past.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Indeed, I’ve had a great desire to own a metal detector. There are numerous spots online (various forums) on which I’ve seen them discussed, and seen brands and models recommended. To get a decent one, though, it sounds like one would need to shell out more than I can afford, like maybe 200-300 dollars.

And would I get that much use out of it? The answer is yes, I would. What it really comes down to me is this: Over several years I could spend $300 on coin collecting, although a hundred a year is notably more than I currently spend on that hobby. I could instead save up that hundred a year and buy a metal detector. But then I’d be missing that money I could just use to buy coins I really want and can pick out from coin dealers.

It certainly is possible to make back the money you spend on a detector by selling things you find. You’d just have to keep busy at it. But then there’s that family of mine…

Let me know what you find out. I keep thinking “Hey, a metal detector would be a lot cheaper if two people went in on it together…”