Friday, October 8

Buckle B Gets a Grip

Up through July, I had not shot a round of golf out of the 70's all year. However, my last five rounds of golf have been in the mid-80's. I know I won't get a lot of sympathy, but shut up...this is my blog.
I felt helpless trying to figure out what was going on and it has been disappointing because I have played some very nice courses lately. I have never been a model of consistency when it comes to my golf game. Sometimes I can hit a shot few golfers can pull off and other times it looks like I've never played the game before.
I dislike driving ranges. The only time I appreciate them is to hit a few balls before a round or if I am in desperate need to find a swing thought or make a change. My recent play sent me to the range and, surprisingly, it was a success.
I won't tell you this will change my game forever...I'm sure I'll be working on something else before the end of the year. But for now, I feel confident with my ball striking again and that feels good. This is what I did.
I rotated my right hand about an 1-1/2" towards the top of the club at address. That's it. My right hand was getting too far underneath which made it hard to strike the ball crisply and with the compression I needed for distance and control. By moving my right hand slightly, I can now feel the club between my right thumb and forefinger. Now, instead of my right palm facing the sky at impact, it is facing down and towards the target.
Basically, I went from this:
To this:

Roy McAvoy may be able to explain it better than I can

No comments: