Wednesday, March 17

Buckle B's Best Bet Bracket Busters

I know this is the day before one of the best sports days of the year, the opening round of the NCAA Tournament, and this barely gives you time to use my prognostications to complete your perfect bracket. For those of you, however, that like to wait until the last possible minute to throw away $5 in your office pool, I offer these first round upsets.
  • It seems everyone is picking Siena to beat Purdue now that the Boilermakers are without Robbie Hummell. I have thought about this for awhile and hate to jump on the bandwagon. Therefore, I am picking PURDUE to beat Siena. I understand this is not technically an upset based on the seeding, but it seems picking Purdue is going against the grain, therefore acceptable as an upset. Plus, I don't see Siena winning a first round game 3 years in a row.
  • Georgia Tech over Oklahoma State: A 7 over a 10 is not earth shattering, but the Big 12 is THE conference this year, while the ACC is having a down year. Derek Favors is a major plus for the Yellow jackets, but he's not the deciding factor. Oklahoma State, coached by former UK PG Travis Ford, who took over for the Suttons now that the father/son duo is "Betty Ford-in it," also starts Billy Gillispie recruit, Matt Pilgrim. How could you not pick Tech?
  • Missouri over Clemson: Don't really know why, so I am mailing this one in and saying "have I ever let you down before?"
  • Two quick notes:
  1. Everyone is talking about how dangerous Cornell is this year. Buckle B says don't listen to the Ivy League, it's poison for your bracket. Temple will put an end to the pretender contender Andy Bernard's Alma Mater in the first round.

    2. I have gone through the bracket several times, and as much as it pains me to say this, I do not see Louisville losing to California or Duke. Louisville has proven they can play with the worst of them, but I see at least a sweet 16 run from UofL. At least if it is UofL v. Duke, somebody will lose and I'll be happy.

    No comments: