Wednesday, July 15

Tuesday Evening Practice

I played out at Polo Fields tonight to get in a little practice. I like Polo Fields ok (especially when it is free), but some of the layout is a little strange and doesn't fit my eye well. Blind tee shots on several holes (including a par 3) make it tough to pick your spots and get a good visual.

As I have been doing, I'm playing from the back tees and playing the ball down to try and prepare for Wednesday. But, as I said before, I plan on doing this from now on. I find it more rewarding. Anyway, I managed to shoot 37-38 for 75. I did double bogey one hole but it was because we got a little goofy and I tried to kill a drive. It subsequently ended up bouncing around on someones deck.

My concerns about Lakeside Wednesday has nothing to do with the length of the course or keeping the ball in play. The course is neither long nor narrow. My main concern is the condition of the course. Rolling the ball would be no problem, but playing it down is a different game there. The course needs rain and the fairways are very dry. They are note bare, but the grass was dry and every shot felt like a hard pan lie.

I think I'll be hitting some shots over the next week off of that type of lie to see the best way to attack it, but maybe I'll just hit it in the rough.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Sounds like they need about 2 more of today's rains between now and next week.

Bad Bob said...

That's why I was always in the rough.....