Thursday, July 16

My Favorite TV Week of the Year

This week of TV is only rivaled by the opening rounds of the NCAA Basketball Tournament. The British Open isn't necessarily my favorite major, but it is my favorite to watch. The style of golf, the scenery and the history put it near the top, then the time makes it my clear favorite to watch. I love getting up early and watching golf before work. The weekend usually consists of me getting breakfast early and bringing it back before coverage begins. I then spend the morning propped up on the couch (along with some dozing) and watching The Open.
This post is a little late. The second round is due to tee off in a couple of hours, but here is my off the cuff reaction and picks for the climax of the oldest championship.

It was great to see Tom Watson shoot his lowest opening round in the British Open...and this is a guy who has won it 5 times. At 59 years old, I fully expect Watson to shoot his age tomorrow. It just depends on what hole he'll do it.

Mark Calcavecchia and Mark O'Meara are also nice to see near the top. However, I fully expect to see the cream rise to the top (unless weather becomes severe and then anything can happen). Tiger Woods will be around on Sunday as usual. However, the two players I see as my favorites this year are Steve Stricker and Lee Westwood. I picked them both in my jackpot and have a feeling one of the two guys will be winning their first major. It may even come down to a playoff between the two.

You heard it here first. Happy Open, ya Limeys!

4 comments:

Mark said...

How is the style of golf different?

Kevin said...

The biggest difference is the rioting golf hooligans. Also, they call golf balls 'chips' and they call chip shots 'flats.' Plus they call drives 'lorries.'

Brian said...

and the only reason women do the streaking is because it draws attention away from the dental work.

Anonymous said...

Brian, thanks for your kind words.
QMM