Friday, February 1

Lunch Break Today

I went to Frisbee Field in Cherokee Park today at lunch. In the short time I was there, I found 4 pennies. A 1971, 1980, 2002 & 2007. The '71 is in excellent shape. It is the perfect penny. 1980 was in good shape, but a little blotchy. 2002 was barely readable and corroded. 2007 looks like it had been in a garbage disposal (Metro Parks tractor most likely). The newer it is, the worse it looks. Any way, I am getting better at listening to the detector and knowing when I have found something worth digging.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Up until 1982, our cents were solid bronze. That year, though, some cents were solid bronze, and some were bronze with a zinc core. All cents after 1982 have a zinc core.

This made the pennies cheaper to produce (pre-’82 cents currently contain 2.1 cents worth of copper each), but much more prone to corrosion and discoloration. Any penny after 1982 that spends much time in the ground at all will likely come out looking like it was run through a garbage disposal.

I’m just sayin’, just in case you wonder why an old wheat cent looks pretty decent but a coin lost last year looks like total crap.

Your numismatic brother,
Mark

Brian said...

What a wealth of information. I think the one penny may have been it though. One edge is shaved off. I found a map of the Civil War camps in Louisville. I printed a map with Battery Camp. It is a poor map, but looking at the streets it looks like it was right in mom & dad's backyard. I think I will go behind the fence in the back where it erodes away into the alley and plunder.