Thursday, July 19

The Open

My favorite golf major to watch on TV started this morning. I awoke at 4:30am to watch a few hours of the Open Championship before I went to work. Every year for four days in July, I wake up early, head to the couch with some breakfast and watch golf, occasionally dozing off while doing so.

The reason it is my favorite to watch is the combination of a few things. First, I love I get to wake up and watch golf early and still have the whole in ahead of me. Second, it is a different type of golf course and game than we watch week in and week out on the tour, including the majors. I have always loved links style golf and watching the players battle wind and rain makes it even more fun. I love the pot bunkers, the tall golden Rye and Fescue grass, the old buildings and clubhouse and even the bagpipe bumper music they play during the telecast. Plus, I think watching them play golf in July while wearing sweaters helps me forget how hot it is outside.

Enjoy the Open if you plan on watching. If not, what is wrong with you?

2 comments:

Bad Bob said...

Nothing's wrong with me....I'm watching all of it! And, I agree with you. I think I enjoy watching the Master's just as much. Mainly because I've looked forward to it so long by the time it gets here.

Anonymous said...

(Shurangama Sutra and Mantra)(Kṣitigarbha)(Avalokiteśvara) (Amita Buddhaya)(Bhaiṣajyaguru)
The Twelve Vows of the Medicine Buddha upon attaining Enlightenment, according to the Medicine Buddha Sutra are:
To illuminate countless realms with his radiance, enabling anyone to become a Buddha just like him.
To awaken the minds of sentient beings through his light of lapis lazuli.
To provide the sentient beings with whatever material needs they require.
To correct heretical views and inspire beings toward the path of the Bodhisattva.
To help beings follow the Moral Precepts, even if they failed before.
To heal beings born with deformities, illness or other physical sufferings.
To help relieve the destitute and the sick.
To help women who wish to be reborn as men achieve their desired rebirth.
To help heal mental afflictions and delusions.
To help the oppressed be free from suffering.
To relieve those who suffer from terrible hunger and thirst.
To help clothe those who are destitute and suffering from cold and mosquitoes.