Wednesday, December 14

Life's Little Reliefs or Pulled Over by a Chopper

There are plenty of instances in life where one experiences intense moments of anxiety, but then, for whatever reason, that fear is immediately alleviated. One of my reoccurring examples is waking up after having a dream that I had forgotten to go to class for the whole semester and it is the day of the final. It usually takes me a few seconds after I am awake to realize I have been out of college for awhile now and I have my diplomas to prove it. I flop my head back down on the pillow and exhale as I sink back into the bed.

Monday morning, I had another enormous exhale moment while driving down Murphy Lane. I was going my normal speed, just a few over the limit, when I heard a rapid thump, thump, thump sound. When I heard this, for some reason my brain also led me to believe my car was pulling hard to the right. Wonderful...a flat tire! I pulled onto a side street and onto an asphalt pad cutout on the side of the road. I open my door to get out and I hear a rapid "thump, thump, thump... I look up to see an Apache helicopter slowly flying overhead. I didn't really believe that was what I heard until I checked out all four tires. I looked up and watched it disappear behind the tree line, took a deep breath, and drove off a much relieved individual. However, this incident puts things in perspective. In the United States, I am relieved my car didn't have a flat and that it was the props on an Apache helicopter. In other countries, they are just relieved that the Apache helicopter overhead is not firing ammunition.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I have nothing to say but "Yep."

Bad Bob said...

Pulling over believing you have a flat tire is a sick feeling. Glad your's was a false alarm!