Thursday, December 16

A Coke By Any Other Name?

It seems the American knack for speech laziness is rubbing off on the Germans. I was shopping in Meijer last night picking up a few things for the week (and NOT because of the storm) and remembered I wanted to pick up some soda. I stopped and looked back and forth, looking at the hanging signs above each aisle. I saw sports drinks, beer, tea and coffee, but no soda, pop, soda pop, soft drinks, carbonated beverages or anything of the like. Then I saw it....Coke. The aisle containing ALL sodas was labeled "COKE. "

I understand this happens . People often call generic items a brand name (Kleenex, Aspirin, Xerox etc.), but to see it used as store signage I think is bizarre.

Please discuss.

2 comments:

Bad Bob said...

Wow! That is bizarre. I'm sure the Coca-Cola Company loves it. You're right though, many people use that term to just mean a soft drink, but for a company to use it meaning soft drinks is something else.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

How interesting. Maybe "cokes" is such common terminology around here for all drinks that it's gone un-noticed, though you'd think Pepsi might voice a complaint.