Saturday, July 5

"Contact" & Work

I have just started reading Carl Sagan's Contact and have been told the book is much better than the movie (as usual), but my biggest fear is the ending. The ending of the movie was horrible, but I am confident Sagan's will be much better. I have read some of his non-fiction (Cosmos & Billions & Billions) and have been impressed. However, I am more impressed with his fictional writing thus far.

I get the feeling the younger Ellie Arroway character (as well as the adult) sees and questions the world in a very similar way I do now. The questions she thinks of are weird to others, but are perfectly rational questions no one seems to want to bother with. Anyway, it looks promising.

I hope I get the chance to read some in the coming weeks. We are finalizing details at work in time for the All-Star Game and all the surrounding events. It will be a long week starting Wednesday. We then begin an 8-game home stand the day after the ASG. A couple of days after the home stand , we begin set-up for the Dave Matthews concert. Two days after the concert, we start another 8-game home stand. The good news is, the season is almost done at that point.

No comments: