Wednesday, July 20

Round Number ???? for the Year

I played Nevel Meade Wednesday night with a few guys from the Bats. Recently, I began trying to eliminate the loopiness known as my backswing. I have always felt, except for a few small details, that I had a good swing in spite of my horrid takeaway. However, my backswing puts me in a hole and my body must do everything to compensate for me to make solid contact. Then if I do make solid contact, I must hold the face open to keep from hooking, causing a push, or I over correct and slam the club face shut causing a hook. It doesn't always work, which leads to a very inconsistent game. One of the teaching Pros at Hurstbourne told me years ago they new I had some talent just by being able to hit the ball using my backswing.

Over the past few years, I have tried to correct this problem by merely forcing the change with will power. This didn't work. Anytime I felt I was not fanning the club face open, I would watch a video of myself or someone would say, "hey, you swing like a Jim Furyk...without the talent."

I decided to tackle this problem the correct way. Through lots of reading, gathering of information and a series of drills. I feel I have finally turned the corner with my back swing, although it still requires more work, but the loopiness is more than half gone. I intend on bringing a mirror to the practice range along with my camera to help me fine tune.

I will never, ever say I have the game figured out. That is impossible. More issues will arise down the road and that's one of the reasons I love the game. I also know my swing will always be unique, but that is ok as long as it is consistent.

I did shoot my best round in quite awhile Wednesday night at Nevel Meade; a 2-under par 70. I birdied #1, #6, #9, #10, and #18. The only par-5 I birdied was #18 where I missed an 8ft eagle putt for my 69. I had several shots throughout the round I tanked, mostly on par-5's.

I am excited with the direction my game is taking and feel the swing change is simple and will allow more consistent golf. I hope to post some video within the week to show you what I am blabbering about.

No comments: